Muudda Nature St. Kitts Style

A little explaining behind the title...that is in honor of Dr. Gyimah.  If you have ever had him as a professor at RUSVM...you can appreciate this and maybe even get a little chuckle in.  He has a very interesting accent and every time he said mother nature in his courses (Immunology and Virology), it sounded just like the title of this blog.

Anyways...onto the good stuff!

So this past semester was extremely interesting in terms of weather and other natural occurring phenomenas.

July 4th, 2012
As I slaved away in the library, trying to study right up until the time of the 4th of July party that Jarrod's friends were hosting, for about 3 seconds I felt the entire building shake.  All around me the bookshelves and their books gave to the tremor and added their noise to the event.  I've never experienced an earthquake before this incident.  So initially I was baffled at why the entire building was shaking around me.  And after doing a little googling  (and watching the reactions of my friends on facebook) I confirmed what I thought the rockin and rollin was all about.

Earthquake East of Anguilla
5.1 Magnitude Earthquake
Report from SKNVibes

July 11th, 2012
Wildfires in St. Kitts!!  I luckily did not live in the areas that were being threatened by these fires.

Bush fire sweeps across 15-plus acres of land



July 31st, 2012
Cowabunga!!!  Tropical Wave!
All the way from Africa, it came to St. Kitts with the chance of becoming Tropical Storm Ernesto.  Luckily all this tropical wave did was bring on some crazy flash floods that did their damage to the streets and island.


Pictures of the damage...FYI...Ghauts are not something to play around in or drive across during flash floods on the island!






August 8th, 2012:
Woke up one morning and noticed that the island looked hazy and later in the afternoon the air smelled almost like sulfur...just not the typical smell for the island air (ie. burning cane grass, etc.).  To my surprise there was apparently a nearby island whose volcano had shown some signs of activity leading to the presence of volcanic ash in our skies.

Minor Ash Venting from Montserrat Volcano


Well I think that wraps up the crazy happenings with mudda nature for this past semester...I do know that there was a recent tropical storm to pass through SK (TS Isaac).  But it sounds like it just brought some wind and rain with it (as well as flight cancellations unfortunately).  Looking forward to another eventful semester next semester!

Just remember.......