7th Semester Banquet: A legit reason to fundraise for your class!

Third semester brought a lot of debate amongst my class.  To fundraise or not to fundraise...that was the question.  As class rep during third semester, I saw the issues surrounding fundraising semester after semester.

From my point of view, it seemed as though the same group of individuals was helping with our fundraising events (ie. bake sales, etc.) each and every event.  It seemed like there was a majority that weren't participating...maybe they were not financially able to help, maybe they didn't care to step outside of their studies, maybe they figured others would do the work for them, maybe they didn't like the idea of fundraising for a banquet at the end of our seven semesters.  I'm speculating of course...

So after a meeting amongst the class reps and fundraising chairs, we thought we'd implement a point system to even the playing field.  You'd acquire points in a variety of ways and ultimately your points earned through participation/help in our fundraising efforts would give you a larger vote in where our money would go at the end of our seven semesters whether it would be towards a banquet, donations to our community in St. Kitts, etc.  Welllllllll...that didn't sit well with everyone in our class.

To make it fair, we put it all to a vote...everyone busted out their clickers and our fundraising chairs presented everyone with their choices.  The first choice to be voted on...to fundraise or not to fundraise.  If we voted to not fundraise, there was discussion on everyone paying a portion of the grand total needed to have a decent banquet, make donations, etc.  The majority voted to continue fundraising.  So then our next choice that was to be voted on was the decision to install a point system or not to install a point system.  The majority voted to not install a point system.  So that was that...

Our fundraising chairs continued on their course the rest of the semester and successfully held the remainder of our fundraising events and actually got us to our target amount of funds needed by the end of the semester.

For me, when I made the decision to step away from the position of class rep, it also helped me to step away from fundraising.  In my position, I always felt obligated to help with every one of our fundraising events whether that meant baking a baked good, working a shift at a bake sale, helping at the other events where ever my help was needed.  So I came to realize that I didn't always have to be the one chipping in...I could kick my feet up every once in a while and let others take the reins and do some heavy lifting.  I also realized that the success or failure of our fundraising was not necessarily my problem so to say.  It relied on all those in my class...not just me.

Towards the end of the semester I was fortunate enough to accompany Jarrod to his 7th semester banquet at Spice Mill restaurant.  As we drank, ate, and danced the night away with each other, I thought in the back of my mind...if only everyone could experience a 7th semester banquet before their own.  The evening was just perfect.  Professors and staff from RUSVM that had seen each individual in this semester make the journey came to show their support, give their congratulations, and wish all the 7ths the best in their clinical years back in the states.  There were slide show presentations of each student as a child (photos submitted by loved ones), a slide show of the professors they wanted to thank, and a slide show of some through the times fun (submitted by those in the semester).  The food was glorious and plentiful.  Decorations saluting their semester's color, pink, covered the entire venue.  With an open bar, the drinks were flowing and the bartenders were busy bees.  At some point in the night, a legitimate fireworks display was set off on their beach.  And the dj spun songs until the wee hours of the night and the last call for taxis were made.  Oh!  And luckily there were hired photographers to document the night and the amazing memories.

Although I may not participate in every fundraising effort our class holds, I will do my share to support the efforts so that one day I too can have the time of my life at my own RED semester banquet.  The memories of that night will forever motivate me to support my class' fundraising.  And because I know that previous semesters have been charitable (and another one) with portions of their funds raised, I know that it will be possible for my class to not only put together an amazing and worthy banquet, but also donate to those in the community around RUSVM.  I hope that this blog entry provides some insight and guidance to students that may be just beginning their journey at RUSVM.