Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

After surviving my 2nd semester at RUSVM, I now believe that after all is said and done with my time on St. Kitts and my 7 semesters at RUSVM, I will be able to survive just about anything!  There really is something to say about the experiences you have while attending RUSVM.

Just some personal experiences and feelings since I've been attending RUSVM.

  • It is definitely hard being away from my family, pets, and friends.  You do however form a "Ross family" that provides you with friendship and support the whole way through (this has been my experience).  
  • I have also had my fair share of corrupt mechanics since I've been on St. Kitts (not fun to deal with while you are trying to stay focused on your studies).  The cars here are always going to have things to fix during your time owning one...however, spending a little extra money and from the right person/dealer, you may save yourself from some of the hassles.  I can't recommend any one autoshop or mechanic, just be careful who you trust.
  • I have fortunately not been a victim of theft (although I do have classmates that have been).  In regards to robberies, I truly feel as though living on the island is like living in a big city (something that I have done most my life, so some important common sense rules to live by in such an environment have already been well instilled in me).  
  • I did adopt an adult cat (estimated to be about 2.5 years old), Ember, who was a former "Marriott cat" (lived around the Marriott hotel and was well fed by the tourists).  Had her for about 6 months at my apartment before one early morning she must have been playing in the windowsill and pushed out the screen (found out later that the screen was missing a metal piece that kept it in place, so it was more easily pushed out without this piece).  I spent about a four weeks searching for her (setting traps everyday around my apartment and spreading canned cat food around them and inside of them, hanging up laminated and color flyers around the neighborhood, constantly flooding Facebook with her picture and information, as well as a newsletter announcement that reached the entire student body).  Broke my heart.
  • A lot of times when you need to get things done (ie. go to the bank, go to the cable company, etc.) you may not be able to because of your class schedule and their hours of operation.  Can be frustrating.
  • Service at many restaurants is slow...you just learn to accept it and as Dr. Reich would say "Live wit it".  However, I have never had slow service at one of my all time favorite places to eat (Bombay Blues).  Truly amazing owners.  I don't even have to say my take-out order anymore :)
  • Police check points.  Randomly the police set up a check point to check for driver's licenses, insurance, and wheel tax.  Can be at the most inconvenient times (ie. the morning of a final).
  • Bugs.  They are just a part of life on the island and always manage to find their way into your apartments/homes no matter what.  Fortunately I have only had one centipede run in...they are really creepy and don't die upon a first squish attempt.
  • Dealing with unprofessionals in a professional school...Just remember to rise above those that choose to act in an immature manner. 
So as the title of this entry says...harder, better, faster, stronger...these are the results of the experiences you have on St. Kitts and at RUSVM