Fully accredited = Fully equipped

Just in time for my arrival to RUSVM, the school was upgraded from partial accreditation to full accreditation.  Perfect timing!  As my time at RUSVM goes by I have become more aware of the stigma and uneducated misconceptions about RUSVM.  It is not worth even mentioning these misconceptions because they are quickly dissipating as more and more RUSVM graduates enter the profession and others take the initiative to educate themselves about RUSVM.

What I do want to take the time mentioning is that although my journey at RUSVM has just begun, I am thoroughly impressed with the educational experience I've had thus far at RUSVM.  I am part of one of the largest admitted classes at RUSVM (September 2011).  There is a lot of controversy surrounding this topic (increased class sizes).  I believe that as RUSVM grows in popularity, the increase in class size is inevitable.  As far as I know the school is putting some changes/adaptions into action in order to accommodate this.  We have also acquired a new dean, Dr. Elaine Watson.  Although change is sometimes unnerving, I am completely confident in those that are playing their part in these changes.  RUSVM will continue to be an amazing veterinary school and will continue producing amazing veterinarians.

Anyways...back to the misconceptions about RUSVM.  A fellow colleague shared a Reader's Digest Article titled 50 Things Your Vet Won't Tell You and both of us were pretty appalled by #20 on this list.  Luckily, I contacted the AVMA and shared the article and asked that they stand up for those of us that are attending their fully accredited caribbean schools and clear up any misunderstandings that may have been further fueled by such a ridiculous statement published by RD.  I'm so thankful that I am the proactive person that I am and that I have always had the courage to speak up and spark awareness.  The AVMA did respond to RD's article (the response to reader's digest) and many became aware of the statement and showed their support and disbelief that such a statement would be published by posting comments on the Reader's Digest article page.

My belief about RUSVM graduates that continue to thrive in and nourish the world of veterinary medicine is that
"The world is changed by examples, not opinions"
So that is what I look forward to...finishing my educational journey with RUSVM and leading by example.  Showing the world what RUSVM is all about by making my mark in veterinary medicine will be another amazing chapter in my journey to my career.
"Behind every success is effort.  Behind every effort is passion.  Behind every passion is someone with the courage to try"