Separation of Church and State

I normally don't get political on my blog but I am gonna rant a wee bit for now...

There's a church at the end of our little area of the country and other than some light traffic on Sundays and Wednesdays, I've had no problems with them at all. Lately, the area of woods across the street from the church has been cut down, burned and uprooted. It looks like a wasteland now and it makes me sad every time we pass because it was once very pretty.
Today I found out why it's been destroyed.

The church owns the land on both sides of the road and they were apparently tired of the road going through it...so now they're using County tax dollars to re-route the road and expand their parking lot (which isn't needed from what I've seen by their turn out). I can't help but be saddened by this whole issue. What was once a pretty little woods and pasture is now mud and charred wood - and all this was paid with the tax dollars of the rest of us living here - I would certainly not have wanted my money to go to this. Doesn't the church take up offerings? Tithing and what not being very important from what I remember of church growing up.

The whole situation makes me agitated.
Sorry to be all ranty lately, probably the stress of moving doing this to me.
I'll be sure to post something pleasant soon.

Love and light,
Dawn