Urban Blend Coffee Shoppe

In my daily interactions with people here, if the subject of my blog comes up, a PE resident will inevitably suggest a coffee shop that I may not have visited yet.  Locals are always a great resource.  Michelle, a trainer at the gym, not only recommended a few coffee shops, but she also introduced me to her friend, Shaun Aupiais, a barista trainer and distributer of Sumatran Brand coffees here in PE.  After a few phone conversations, in which we "talked coffee," Shaun agreed to attend The Crawl as a resident coffee expert.  He chose Urban Blend Coffee Shoppe on the corner of 3rd Avenue and Hurd St. in Newton Park as the venue for an info session and coffee tasting for this week's crawlers. 

















Fifteen of us, Fr. Dominic Griego, June Nash, Gail Taverner, Les Baldwin, Nomusa Nkomo, Gail Darne, Stella and Beryl Dawson, Beth Vieira, Fran and Keith de Beer, Leanne Waller, my husband, Lou, and my daughter, Liz, met at Urban Blend on Tuesday morning instead of our usual Thursday to accomodate Shaun's schedule. Initially, it appeared that parking would be an issue, but available spaces across the street and more in the back of the shop provided plenty of room for all of us along with numerous other patrons.  Shaun welcomed us all, led us to a reserved table, introduced himself, and took orders for our first round, which featured a "Single Origin Ethiopian" coffee.  Excellent choice, Shaun!  Everyone loved this round (even Nomusa, a loyal tea drinker) and I think, rather I'm sure, you just got yourself some new customers. 

Before round two, Shaun fielded coffee questions from the group.  He gave a brief explanation of different espresso beverages and brought a machiata for me to try.  Well, I've never had a machiata before, and now I'm sold...my new favorite (non-alcoholic) drink of all time...a machiata made with Single Origin Ethiopian Sodomo coffee!  So, for round two, about half the crawlers changed their original order to a machiata.  For this round, Shaun used Caffe Molinari brand and offered the crawlers the Urban Blend coffee/cake special, which a few of us couldn't resist,  Yes, I'm guilty of breaking my own No-Food-On-The-Crawl rule.  But the muffin was awesome with my Americano.  Shaun and Urban Blend's barista, Luthando, prepared both rounds of lattes, cappuccinos, machiatas, and Americanos for the group and served them in heated cups so as not to lose the 15 to 20 degree C that is lost when using cold cups. 

As round three was served by our waitress, Pinki, I had an opportunity to talk to Urban Blend's owner, Lisa Herman.  Lisa and her husband renovated a house and turned half of it into the Urban Blend Coffee Shoppe about a year ago.  They are looking to expand into the other half of the house soon.  I am a real fan of the subtle African decor of the shop with bold but tasteful colors on the walls.  There are tables and comfortable lounge areas on two levels of the shop and seating outside as well.  I love the laid back atmosphere and am sure to visit the shop again for a traditional breakfast or a gourmet sandwich for lunch.  Lisa told me that she had never been in the industry prior to opening the shop...you certainly had me fooled, Lisa...you're a natural! 

The PE Coffee Crawl is about coffee and conversation.  Well, this week, coffee was the conversation...at least for a good portion of our visit.  With my daughter, Liz, being a barista at a Starbucks in Washington, D.C., she and Shaun had much to discuss and share with the group.  At Nomusa's end of the table, a tea versus coffee debate ensued.  I was speaking to Lisa when the debate finally ended, but I'm guessing the coffee-lovers won, hands down...sorry, Nomusa.  Once the hot beverage topic was exhausted, the table talk turned to speeding fines with Lou and Liz vying for top honors.  Liz, I think your dad has you beat, but only because he is so much older.  At some point, discussion at the table split, with one end regaling the wonders of the Serengeti while the other end talked soap opera trash.  I won't tell which end I was on! 

Overall, this coffee crawl with Shaun, our special guest/barista/coffee connoisseur, was a hit with all present.  I'll be sure to keep on the lookout for more interesting "coffee people" in PE to introduce on the blog. 

A note on my son Jeff's comment on Cafe Ro-Ann: Jeff says Liz may be the favorite child since Lou came to two crawls (and counting) with her and zero with him.  He wants a vote on who is the coffee crawlers' favorite.  I think they'll all claim the Fifth, Jeff!  (For my non-American readers, the Fifth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution gives you the right to keep your mouth shut so as not to incriminate yourself).  Jeff, I'll see what I can do...I hear Keith takes bribes. 

Thank yous to:
~ Shaun, for the samples and for organizing this special crawl for us
~ Lisa and staff, keep up the awesome work!
~ This week's crawlers, who came out fot this special Tuesday crawl
~ My readers, for being patient with my late postings...I would have posted Saturday but the Surf was up at J-Bay for the Billabong competition.  Lou, Liz and I couldn't miss out on the sick barrels.  Congrats to South African surfer, Jordy Smith, who took the top prize.

One last note:  This week's coffee tasting reminded Liz of her barista colleagues working hard at the Van Ness Starbucks in Washington, D.C., while she vacations here in South Africa.  Liz sends a big HELLO! to Jack, Sam, and Stevi. 

Until next week (or whenever I get to it),

Ellen

Meet the Owner
Lisa Herman





This Week's Crawlers
Lou, Leanne, Keith, Beth, Stella, Beryl, Gail D., Nomusa, Les, Gail T., June, Liz, Fr. Dominic
 
Meet the Baristas
Luthando and Shaun