The Hedges Coffee Shop

PE is known as "The Friendly City."  It has certainly lived up to its nickname in the last seven months that Lou and I have lived here.  Today's visit proved to be no exception as this week's crawlers and I ventured out to The Hedges Coffee Shop.  This shop is located at 151 Main Rd. (corner, 10th and Main) in Walmer.  We were warmly greeted by Nadia who helped us set up on the patio.  Joining me at Hedges was Fr. Dominic Griego. June Nash, Fran and Keith deBeer, and Beth Vieira. 

Fr. Dominic is celebrating the fifth anniversary of his ordination today.  He is of the Capuchin Franciscan Order.  There is really a connection between the Capuchins and cappuccino coffee.  (Maybe that's why Fr.'s eyes lit up when the megas with cream were served!)  Congratulations, Father Dominic! 

June's son, David, is married to the deBeer's daughter, Marie.  June told us as we entered the shop that she just figured out how to punctuate and capitalize in her text messages.  It is a happy day for those of you who regularly text with June.  There's no stopping her now!

As for the coffees, Fr. Dominic, June, Keith, and I all ordered mega cappuccinos, while Beth had a mega black coffee and Fran, a regluar black coffee.  Our barista, Juanette, informed us that Hedges uses Masterton's Blend 81 for all their coffee beverages.  Masterton's is a long time family owned local coffee roasting business.  Lou and I frequent their shop, and I'm sure to do a special blog posting on Masterton's "just now."  (in SA, "just now" means sometime later, whenever, etc-- a real communication issue for us at first!) 

Good coffee and good conversation was had all around.  I especially enjoyed the crash course I was given on African spiders.  Needless to say, when I got home I checked behind all the wall hangings looking for "flatties."  I found none, but knock on wood.  I'm sure if I ever do see one, you'll hear me all the way in the USA!!!

At the end of our visit I chatted with Hedges owner, Robby Brunette.  He showed me around the shop which includes two outside areas (a tea garden and a patio) and two dining rooms that have been recently refurbished..  Robby explained that in the late 1800s / early 1900s The Hedges Tea Garden was situated at a stop on the railway line coming from the harbor.  Robby has retained the Hedges name for historical interest.  He has acquired a number of great old photos of the original tea garden and patrons.  These photos are framed and hanging in one of the dining rooms.  Very cool touch...be sure to check them out when you go to Hedges for breakfast, lunch, or just a quick cup o' joe.

A tray of outrageously delicious looking food was being served as I was leaving.  Decisions, decisions....  gym?...omelet?...gym?...another cappuccino?...gym?...french toast?...  Okay, so the gym won out, but not by much!  Next time though.....

My thanks go out to Robby, Juanette, Nadia, the Hedges staff, and this week's crawlers.  You are all doing your part in helping to make PE "The Friendly City."

Two asides--
* Kevin (Charlene's boyfriend) - If you are reading this, get back to work on your own blog.  Mine is 
for fun...yours is for a grade!  Also, maybe you could give me some advice on how to keep the pics w/ the blog text from week to week....sounds like extra credit to me!

* Fr. Dominic - The author (Lizzy thinks) is Shusaku Endo.

Until next week,

Ellen


Meet the Owner
Robby Brunette




Meet the Barista
Juanette

This Week's Crawlers
Fr. Dominic, June, Fran, Keith, Beth