New York: To Stay or To Go?

I've been living in New York City for ten years.  This ten-year milestone is significant on its own, but for me it represents something additional: I've now lived in New York for the same length of time that I've lived in Vermont, the place I consider home.  My life has been characterized by frequent moves - two years in Pennsylvania, six years in Virginia, four years in Vermont, a year in Montreal, five more years in Vermont, three years in Minnesota, another year in Vermont, and then ten straight years here in New York.  So why doesn't this feel like home?  I try to remind myself why I came here in the first place.  I came to learn about and participate in music and theater.  Somewhere along the way, I stopped learning and participating, and now I just watch from the sidelines.  New York living takes a real toll on your mind and your spirit, so if you're going to survive here, you must be passionately involved in something that brings you a lot of joy.  I don't have anything like that anymore, and that realization has hit me like a ton of bricks.  So what do you do when you're feeling stuck?  Do you continue to bang your head against the wall, hoping that eventually you'll break through it and there'll be something good on the other side?  Or do you run the other way before you give yourself a concussion?